Global Policy Solutions (GPS), a social-change strategy organization based in Washington, D.C., seeks an experienced and innovative communications professional to support policy and program efforts. As a member of the Global Policy Solutions team, the communications associate will support the communications strategies by developing target media lists and assisting with the design, build, and maintenance of the website. S/he will support the development and coordination of content for the online resource center, newsletters, and social media. S/he will also work closely with the communications director on assigned projects and across policy and program initiatives.
The selected individual will have significant communications responsibilities. In addition to being highly organized, the qualified candidate should be sophisticated in the fundamentals of social media outreach and advocacy and traditional communications strategies. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, creative thinker, resourceful problem solver, and highly productive worker.
- Provide program and event management support.
- Help lead implementation and updating of online resource portal.
- Help implement marketing and communications strategy for organization.
- Support research and technical assistance efforts.
- Facilitate communication between training participants and between organization and target stakeholders.
- Support the identification and dissemination of content for the online resource portal, webinars, and newsletters.
- Continuously monitor social media.
- Provide direct oversight over interns.
- Use project management tools to keep track of team progress toward goals.
- Support organizational and client communications functions with requisite research, policy analysis, identification of new policy resources, or other pertinent information.
- Support the execution of advocacy and outreach events and campaigns.
- Participate in organizational strategy conversations and strategy related to program portfolios.
- Build strong working relationships with team members and external stakeholders.
- Participate in strategic conversations with GPS stakeholders.
- Contribute to proposals, letters of intent, memos, concept papers, budgets, and other program and technical materials to strategically pursue opportunities that align with the needs and priorities of GPS.
Specific Requirements for this Position:
- EITHER: A B.A./B.S in a relevant area and a minimum of 2 years experience in a related field OR a Masters degree in a relevant area is required.
- Program support experience is required.
- Innovative problem-solver and strategic thinker is required.
- General knowledge of public policy, congressional legislative, and federal regulatory processes.
- Health equity policy and program experience is desired.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to present information in a variety of formats and styles for difference audiences.
- Strong skills in planning and implementing events and projects.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills; with keen attention to detail.
- Experience with event planning and evaluation are preferred, but not required.
General Requirements for All GPS Staff:
- Exemplary analytical, writing, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to develop work plans, set deadlines, work well with minimal supervision, prioritize assignments, and organize multiple projects and duties simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, know when to act independently and when to consult for advice on decision making.
- A willingness to carry out a wide range of activities, including both professional and logistical tasks.
- Strong computer skills with familiarity with Microsoft Office, email clients, Internet research, and social networking tools.
- Fluency with at least one policy area: health, education, or income security.
- Ability to quickly gain an understanding of additional policy areas as needed.
- Ability to represent GPS responsibly and communicate effectively in various settings on a broad range of issues.
- Flexibility with respect to schedule, working hours, travel, and work assignments, including ability to work overtime or on weekends when necessary; reliable job attendance essential.
- Strong commitment to diversity and equity.
- Title will be based upon successful candidate’s level of education and experience.
- Competitive salary, based on the individual’s education and experience.
- Opportunities for advancement are available over time.
Benefits: Medical, dental and 401(k) retirement savings plan.
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, one resume, three writing samples, and three professional references to: email@example.com. The subject line should read “Communications Associate.”
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled.