Global Policy Solutions (GPS), a social change strategy firm based in Washington, D.C., seeks an experienced researcher and writer to assist with policy product development. As a member of the Global Policy Solutions team, the research and writing intern will assist in conducting, analyzing and synthesizing research and writing policy products for GPS clients. The successful candidate will serve as a key member of the policy team. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, a creative and highly analytical thinker, a resourceful problem solver, and a highly productive worker. The position requires 20 hours per week.
The successful candidate will serve as a key member of the policy team. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, a creative and highly analytical thinker, a resourceful problem solver, and a highly productive worker. The position requires 20 hours per week.
- Assist with research and drafting of fact sheets, policy briefs, and reports on assigned policy issues.
- Locate and collect relevant documents and data from sources such as electronic databases, libraries, and government publications.
- Prepare visual tools, such as tables and graphs, for conveying data to audiences.
Specific Requirements for this Position
- A B.A./B.S. candidate in a relevant area and relevant work or internship experience in a related field.
- An M.A./M.S. candidate in a relevant area is a plus.
- General knowledge of public policy, congressional legislative, and federal regulatory processes.
- Specific policy knowledge in at least one of the following issue areas: health, education, and economic security.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to present information in a variety of formats and styles for difference audiences.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills; with keen attention to detail.
General Requirements for All GPS Staff
- Exemplary analytical, writing, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to develop work plans, set deadlines, work well with minimal supervision, prioritize assignments, and organize multiple projects and duties simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, know when to act independently and when to consult for advice on decision-making.
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with Mac OS, Microsoft Office, email clients, Internet research, and social networking tools.
- Ability to quickly gain an understanding of additional policy areas or technology as needed.
- Ability to represent GPS responsibly and communicate effectively in various settings on a broad range of issues.
- Strong commitment to diversity and equity.
This is a paid internship. Hourly rate based upon education level.
The position requires 20 hours per week.
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter, one resume, three writing samples, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line should read “Research and Writing Internship”
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled.